Thursday 5 May 2016

TIME WITH ROBERT GYASI CUDJOE, KSBSA PRESIDENT 2015/2016 ACADEMIC YEAR

We get to spend a bit of time with the outgoing president of the KNUST School of Business Students Association (KSBSA), who is not just a leader but also a lovable and influential personality.

Robert Gyasi Cudjoe
Tell us a bit about yourself

My name Is Robert Gyasi Cudjoe, I am a Monday born, I was born in 1993 and yes, I was born to a small family
which loves education so much. So for me it has been like to study… study… study and go through the system.
My parents were very disciplined and so it was about education and discipline and "you will make it". My
Grandma in the initial stages of my life had a great influence in my life because my parents were very young
when they gave birth to me and so my grandma did a lot, my parents had to go to school and so she had to
take care of me.

Did you hold any positions of responsibility before your post as KSBSA president?

When growing up, my mom always wanted to give me a task in the house so that I will feel responsible.
She wanted to impact a sense of responsibility on all of us so for instance when I was growing up every
morning when I woke up, well that’s cliché, I had to do the household tasks and mine was that before we went
to school, I had to put off all the lights and so I felt like I always had something to do. When I was growing
up in basic school from class 1 to class 5 I was class prefect. Then I moved on to Saint Augustine's College
there, I was the Protocol prefect, head of the Awards Night Committee, I was financial secretary of Junior
Achievement club and I used to sing and I was the president of an acapella group that was called the Young
Sparrows.

 [That’s a surprise… What part did you sing?
Haha ok… ok  I used to be a turner initially but then as I was developing, my voice became so deep so I had
to go and sing bass]

And then finally I was AFS (American Field Service) treasurer


What are your hobbies?

I don’t have a lot of friends… I prefer not to keep a lot of friends because I don’t fancy a lot of people getting
to know me  and so my hobbies.. If I am free I just sleep or watch movies or read. I read a lot because I
wanted to be proficient with my English

Who is your top role model?

At certain points in time there are some people you look up to. When I was younger and wanted to be a
banker, I looked up to Robert Zoellick, the President of the World Bank, back in 2008. He was my mentor
but currently I can't say he is. Now I look up to people who are in our community who are being quite
real. If I am to mention a few I would say Kofi Amoabeng of UT Bank and Patrick Awuah, the founder of  Ashesi
University. I like all those entrepreneurs, I read about them and get to know more about them

Do you have any personal philosophy that drives you, if yes what is it?

As an individual I believe that, everyone can attain the best and the moment you speak the first thing the
person sees is your face and then hears your voice. So if you are blessed enough to have a nice appearance,
you have to work on your speech, how you speak and also how you behave. So when growing up I put a lot
of effort in developing myself as a speaker so I love to speak and whenever I speak I know that I am speaking in
such a way that people will look at me and look at me twice. So that has been my philosophy - you do things
and do it well so that people will recognize you.

At what point in time did you decide to run for KSBSA President? Since the day you started KNUST or later along the way?

The first time I got here, actually I was late because I had gotten Law in University of Ghana, I had gone
there for some time and then I came here to KNUST and as soon as I got here with my corporate look
everyone was looking at me and I remember the then President, Tayo, whom I knew from Takoradi also put
me in the spotlight. So I am saying that right from day 1 I knew I was going to be something at business school.

How did winning the elections feel for you?

Well, most people who were close to me knew that election was a "Cool Chop" because initially the plan was
to go in for the SRC treasurer position and prior to that, I had contested for a position in Independence Hall
and Daniel Kekeli was my manager so I felt I was positioned in a way that I could impact business school and
that I was going to win so I moved for the position of KSBSA President and Kekeli went for SRC and when I won
I was very happy but it was normal feeling for me.

What was your biggest challenge prior to the election?

I realized that if I was to develop a policy it had to be service-wise because the business school had almost all
the facilities so a little challenge was trying to develop policies that will influence people. Another challenge
was also to try to be nice to everyone smile all the time and try to know everybody's name. Ok I think another
challenge was that I was quite reserved so some of my mates thought I was too formal so I had to come down
and be like everybody and that was another challenge but currently I am so down to earth.

Do you see yourself as a born or made leader?

I think I am… let me say I think I am a born leader but then I have had a lot of experiences such that the
moment people see the say a leader like when I first stepped in class, people were like "Oh as for this boy he's
going to be our class rep". People look at you and they think "let's give it to this guy", even when you have not
 gone in for the position. But I have been through a lot like I told you, my mom and my grand mom have had
a lot of influence in my life… yeah that’s it so experiences also count a lot.

What branch of admin do you specialize in and any reason for that?

Accounting. For now its accounting. Later I would like to branch into finance. Accounting because of the various
prospects it presents and also because of influence of family relations. I recall my godmother who is an a banker
told me I should offer accounting because once you offer accounting you can fit anywhere. My dad also has
offered an accounting so he advised me to give it a try. But I felt irrespective of the course you offered you
have a lot of chances ahead of you because you can do any professional course and fit in. And there is also that
prestige attached to the Accounting option.

What has been your favorite course in the program and why?

I have enjoyed a lot of the courses. But to pick my favorite… that will be Organizational Behavior by Dr. Ellis
because it had a lot of theories to back the facts in it and apart from that I think Principles of Marketing by
Dr. Bylon. Yeah so OB is cool

What has been your highest achievement during your administration?

My highest achievement is sending two of our students to the UK to do their internship with Goldman Sachs
like I said earlier the business school has a lot of facilities so the policies had to be on service and student
development so when we came in there was a lot we did. Also with organizing seminars to develop students,
we organized a seminar to give students opportunities and I recall a lot of students from my class applied and
out of the 20 applicants from the whole of   Africa who went for the internship with Goldman Sachs, two
were from the KNUST Business School but 8 other people were selected but were dragged out of the race. So
I think that has been my biggest achievement and currently there is another student who I going to have the
service with Merrill Lynch in the US during the vacation but I won't really align that one to my achievement.
Yea so this should be it

What was the biggest challenge you encountered during your administration?

I would say the biggest challenge is in two folds. Somehow the administration and somehow the students.
There are so many rules in this should which I could say hamper your activities. You plan and they give you a lot
of excuses. Also there was a problem with some of my executives because it's not everyone who has the passion
to work so you just have to find a few who are willing to work and work with them.

How did you balance academic work with the your work as president?

Well, I think with that I didn’t do a good job. I focused more on my work that was to organize program to
 help students and all that to the detriment of my books. Sometime you will be in class and you will be thinking
of what you will want to do right after leaving class and most of the accounting courses are demanding. If you don’t
get it in class it will be very difficult getting it some other time. So my lowest performance has been when I was
actively a president. But what I will say to advice anyone is to try to get everything in class and if not the little time
you get should be used to grab those things and also focus on the courses which you are good at and make
sure you become best at it and the courses which are dragging you, you try and do you best and you are good to go.

Do you plan on taking any leadership role in the future?

I planned on going for the position of NUGS (National Union of Ghana Students) financial controller someday
but it all depends because after school there is national service and all that and people go in for positions even at
national service like national service president and all that but I haven't thought of national service president per Se
but I was looking at NUGS because with that you can impact the larger Ghana education community. Currently I have
not made any moves there but whatever happens every one will get to know.

Was there ever a time that you regretted being president of KSBSA?

I won't say yes but along the line there were certain states which I was in that I wasn’t proud of and I was in that
state because I was KSBSA President. Yeah I think there were two or three times. One was with the patrons. When you
go to them sometimes they make you feel like you are in to steal the student's money, making you look like a
thief. Another instance was with the organization of our socializing we had problem with getting approval to
convey the students outside the school and little did the students know that money for the program wasn’t available
and so we had to go in for loans to be repaid later. So the whole night I had not slept and in the morning I woke up to
go and solve the issue with the Dean of Students. I picked a cab and I was even wearing slippers. Some students
were waiting for their bus and they see me in the cab and they thought I had chartered a private cab to go to the place
and leave them and they started complaining and those complaining were people close to me so I felt like
"so this thing koraa is all this worth it?" But I am not a man of many regrets because before I do anything I
think through it but it's been good and overall I like the position and I am ok with it.

On a scale of 1-10 how do you rate your administration?

Oh I think that will be better done by the people but everyone says "you have done well" so I would just say 8 based
on our achievement because chaley we have done well.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?

5 years from now if I am unlucky to still be in Ghana, I would have been a chartered accountant maybe working
with a big firm and halfway through of or would be done with my master's degree. And if I am lucky enough not
to be in Ghana I would be working with a big firm in the US I would have finished my master's degree in Finance.
Well US or France

What words of encouragement or advice do you have for the current stream of executives who have filled your shoes?

I will advise them first and foremost that already a lot has been done and if they want to prove to people that they are
also good, it will not be easy so they should stick to the simple things, do it for the students and still be close to
the students. Of course some executives will think they have the position now so they have to relax but it pays to get
close to the students and get to know what they need. You are relevant because of what you know as a leader,
the information you have so  they should be abreast with all activities at the business school and they should never
forget their books and they should hold their integrity high and anything they do, they should run it by the patrons or
the lecturers. One thing I did when I came into power was that I went with my executives to all the lecturers
to introduce ourselves as new executives and they gave us advice. They should also look at delivering of
service to benefit the students and not all about products




EmoticonEmoticon

Follow us on Facebook
Powered by: Internetsmash